Sunday, July 29, 2007

鎂 = Magnesium

I've been wanting to blog about this for the past wk but i've been busy with work n stuffs. Do u noe that the Mei in my name is actually Magnesium in chinese?? Y the sudden interest in my name u ask? Its because i'm currently involved in a project and Magnesium is one of the materials used. Here's the story behind why its written as 鎂. It was originally 美倩 but my parents got a master to calculate my 'eight characters' and found out tt i lack the metal element in the 5 elements, 金, 木, 水, 火, 土 (Metal, Wood, Water, Fire, Earth). So they decided to add the 金 into the 美 to become 鎂 which is magnesium. I got this defination of magnesium from dictionary.com.
Magnesium
(māg-nē'zē-əm)
Symbol Mg
A lightweight, moderately hard, silvery-white metallic element of the alkaline-earth group that burns with an intense white flame. It is an essential component of chlorophyll and is used in lightweight alloys, flash photography, and fireworks.
Atomic number 12; atomic weight 24.305; melting point 649°C; boiling point 1,090°C; specific gravity 1.74 (at 20°C); valence 2.
Magnesium is also very flammable. Maybe tt explains my bad temper. I still rmb when i was being interviewed for my present job, one of the interviewers commented the chinese character of my name was very special n i related this story to them. At the end of the story they asked me "Is tt y u applied for this position?" My reply was "I've nv tot about it in this way. Hmm .. Maybe tt's y i'm a materials graduate and y i chose microforming as my FYP and decided to join the metal forming technology group." Maybe it was my name tt made them decide to hire me??
Next up: My convocation .. As soon as i've received the photos

No comments: